Wednesday, March 31, 2010

FHE: Looking on the Bright Side....

After two amazingly inspiring talks by the Barclays last Sunday, I decided I knew exactly what we were going to do for our FHE. I could tell my wonderful hubby has been feeling down & overwhelmed lately & I thought the exercise Brother Barclay mentioned in his talk would be an uplifting one for the both of us. Brother Barclay challenged, "Write down 20 things you're good at in 5 minutes.... If you can't make it, maybe it's time to reevaluate yourself." (Not a word for word quote, but pretty close!)

So, Mitch & I grabbed pens, paper, set a timer and started writing away! When we started the activity, I had imagined it ending like this- The timer would go off: I would have my whole list done & Mitch would only have 10 things. I'd tease him a little, then I'd help him finish his list.... Not because my hubby doesn't have 20 things that he's good at-he just sometimes has a hard time recognizing his talents & giving himself rightful credit for them.

How did it really end? I thought I was off to a great start. I very thoughtfully wrote out #1-2 and then Mitch said, "Only 1 minute 20 seconds left." Then I scrambled and only made it to #13... Mitch finished with 19! Then HE helped me finish my list! Believe it or not, I'm glad I didn't finish first. Mitch reminded me of a lot of my positive attributes that I consistently overlook myself. I told him I was going to put the list somewhere I won't lose it & read it when I'm having a tough day to remind myself who I really am & what I'm really capable of:
  1. I am someone people can call in their time of need & feel comfortable doing so.
  2. I love the Lord and have a profound testimony of the gospel & its ability to heal people and families.
  3. I am an awesome Mom!
  4. I'm an even better wife!
  5. I can cook well... with recipes
  6. I am a leader who cares
  7. I support people others might not believe in
  8. I have pride in my home and family
  9. The glass is always half full
  10. I have a compassionate heart
  11. Service is my middle name
  12. I'm a faithful friend
  13. I have extreme patience...with my husband! Mitch amended this one to "I am patient to a fault"
  14. I have a great capacity to love
  15. I'm an excellent student
  16. I'm a "jack of all trades" (from patching holes in the wall to organizing messy closets!)
  17. Good with animals & kids
  18. Dedicated to whatever I choose
  19. I can motivate people
  20. I'm a great hostess!
Thanks for the help hubby!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!! You are so cute! Great FHE activity by the way. Miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am someone people can call in their time of need & feel comfortable doing so." That's true! Your one of my favorite people :)

    ReplyDelete